Scape and Pecorino Frittata

6 June 2011 § 17 Comments

I’ve not had scapes before so I  had to buy some when I saw them at the Farmers’ Market.

Garlic scapes are the tender curling young stalks of hardneck garlic. Harvested in the spring, they are crunchy and garlicky, and, like garlic cloves, their flavor is mellowed by cooking.

I also bought some of  the locally made Pecorino style cheese. It was a recommendation from an Italian friend there I ran into, who really does know her cheese. They can’t call it Pecorino as real Pecorino has Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) under European law. It was really good, so good. See that big chunk of cheese? Well it is all gone.

We really did need a quick and easy lunch as after a leisurely stroll to our local bar, we found out they were weren’t serving food summer weekend lunchtimes. Walking back home with two ravenous, disappointed four-year olds and two ravenous, disappointed  40-ish year olds, my brother and King Marv, was not a barrel of laughs. So we needed something super fast – and scape and Pecorino frittata fitted the bill.

Here’s the recipe that saved us from a family meltdown:

Ingredients (serves 4)

• 6 eggs
  • 4 tbsp crème fraîche (optional)
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 3 tbsp scapes – about 2-3 of them
  • 60z grated Pecorino cheese
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 tbsp olive oil

Preheat the oven to 375F. Break the eggs into a large bowl, add the crème fraîche, and mustard, and stir to combine – make sure the eggs and crème fraîche are well blended. Stir in the scapes and three-quarters of the cheese. Season generously.

In a large, oven-proof frying pan, heat the olive oil. Then pour in the egg mixture and cook on moderate heat for about five minutes, scatter the remaining cheese on top and carefully transfer the pan to the oven. Cook for 10-12 minutes longer, or until set. Remove from the heat, cut into wedges and eat immediately with a green salad.

The verdict on this – grown ups loved it, and one of The Ladies™ liked it. The other one did not try it as due to her hunger pangs she had gorged herself on my father’s bread.

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , ,

§ 17 Responses to Scape and Pecorino Frittata

• georgettegilmore says:

I’ve never heard of garlic scapes. Are they like scallions?

Either way, this looks delicious!

• I can’t wait to try this. I will have my eyes peeled for those scapes next week.

• Beautiful! Nothing like a frittata when kids are screaming and stomachs are grumbling 🙂

• So good. I can’t wait to try some. I love a good quiche in the summer. And once I stuff myself into a swimsuit, I’m hopping off the wagon for some white wine with this quiche.

• Debora Galassi says:

Glad you liked it! Oven set at 375, I am making your recipe just now. It will complement a pasta salad that is cooling off in the fridge. Nice seeing the market back and going. I fell so much in love with scapes (never saw them before) that I bought 12!

• georgettegilmore says:

Debora (or Lisa),

Please share your pasta salad recipe. I’ve been thinking of making one–never have, and would love a good recipe.

• Debora Galassi says:

Hello there,
    Jamie’s seems delicious as always!
    I make it often in the summer and in a million of ways. Today I made a super simple one. I used penne (Cocco brand-pricey, but delicious- both Rosario and Belgiovine carry that brand), peeled plum tomatoes (make a small incision on the skin and throw in boiling water for less than a minute, then peel), some mediterranean mixed pitted olives (from the Farmers Market), half clove of garlic, pressed with garlic presser, basil, oregano, fresh mint leaves, salt and pepper. Key is to drain the pasta very al dente, NO RINSE, but put it to cool off in a big tray so it stops cooking but does not loose the amid like it would do with a cold rinse, and then combine with the “dressing”. I used roughly 3/4 of a pond of pasta for 2 pounds of tomatoes.

• Debora Galassi says:

P.S. I slice the olive, so they are in every bite of pasta, and I cut the tomatoes in very small cubes, after discarding the seeds.

• Debora Galassi says:

And by “amid” (=Italian AMIDO) I mean STARCH 🙂

• Turning (off) Japanese says:

garlic scapes! we (by this, i mean asians) use them for stir fry dishes. but i love them with spaghetti, use it like garlic in aglio olio e peperoncini.

• gabyk45 says:

I definitely want to try this recipe! Pecorino is one of my favorite cheeses, having first tried it in Italy while I was studying abroad during college. I didn’t realize how difficult it would be to find the fresh version back in the states, but there is a great one at the Union Square Greenmarket, only on Fridays though so I may pick some up tomorrow to make this dish over the weekend!